Monday, December 15, 2014

Bakery Style Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt

This recipe is by far the BEST chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made!  Calling for melted and  browned butter it adds a nutty flavor without the nuts and gives this cookies the most soft chewy texture!

I'm soooo excited guys, not only am I bringing you my FAVORITE cookie recipe to date, but this is also a part of The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!

In true NY Foodgasm style I was a bit of an over achiever, trying a bunch of cookie recipes until I eventually settled on these Bakery Style Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt. Man that title is a mouthful!



So I stumbled across a recipe on Bunny's Warm Oven, the name always makes me chuckle and smile. Anyways, I saw this recipe and I knew I had to try it. I have made chocolate chip cookies MANY times and they are cook, but not chewy. They are usually crunchy and I wanted to make a cookie like that you get at a bakery. Well this recipe delivered and then some. I am guessing the use of melted butter is what really transformed the texture of this cookie. After 15 minutes in the oven, you may not think they are ready, but they are. You let them cool about 10 minutes and you have the damn perfect cookie! PERFECT texture.


Well you know I cannot leave a recipe alone. I have been obsessed with brown butter lately. So what did I do? I brown the butter and take this up about another 10 notches. To play off the caramel like flavor of the butter I also used a mixtures of light and dark brown sugar with turbinado sugar.


It's already pretty damn fly-- but then I decided to add on to it more. When they get outta the oven I sprinkle them with Sea Salt.

Does this sound weird of crazy, I assure you it is not.
Sweet and salty- YES!
Brown butter- YES!
A mixture of rich sugars- YES!

Amazeballs! Yes, I went there!

I was also lucky enough to get cookies in the mail!!


How the swap works

- You get matched with 3 other food bloggers
- You send them cookies by a certain date.
- You receive cookies in the mail as well (my favorite part)
- Each food blogger donates money to Cookies for Kids' Cancer

So basically this is fun AND does good for some kids with cancer! WIN-WIN!

If you want to learn more or participate next year visit the website here.

Special thanks to Dinner Mom, Majorly Delicious, and Java Cupcake for my cookies that I got in the mail! Hope you all enjoyed mine as well! 


Recipe adapted from Allrecipes, Found on Bunny’s Warm Oven.
Makes about 16 cookies

What you need

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, browned
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips




How to make them

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line 2 cookies sheets with parchment paper.
1. Sift together the dry ingredients or just sppon the flour into measuring cup
2. Melt and brown the butter in a stainless steel saucepan on low-medium heat, stirring constantly. Once you start to see bit of brown on the bottom of the saucepan remove from heat. Great directions with visuals here.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer – cream together the melted butter, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar and turbinado sugar until well incorporated. It should be smooth in texture and not as grainy looking.  This should take 3-5 minutes.
4.  Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla till light in color and creamy looking.  This will take about 3-5 minutes.
5.  Spoon in the sifted dry ingredients into the batter until just incorporated on low.  Fold the chocolate chips and nuts into the batter.
6.  Roll the dough into a ball with your hands and place on the parchment lined cookie sheet 3 inches apart.  Bake 15 -17 minutes until edges are brown.
7.  Remove cookie sheet from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool with cookies on it about 10 minutes.  Remove cookies from sheet to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment